Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Hedonism II At New Year's 2022-23 -- Trip Report


 
Day1 Monday 12/26/22

Checked into Hedo today. Despite all of the craziness we've been seeing at the U.S. airports in the days leading up to Christmas, my flight was thankfully not cancelled -- but it was delayed considerably for a variety of reasons. As a result, the 7:30AM JetBlue flight did not take off for an hour and a half (9AM).

Anyway, I'm here now and that's the only thing that matters I guess.

Upon check-in, they handed me glossy cards: one was an invitation to the New Year's Eve party, themed "Amorous Attractions: Hedonistic Prom Night". The other card was titled "Lustful Liaison", which was just the theme nights for the last week of the year. Comparing this to the PDF of the events schedule downloaded from the QR Code they gave me at check-in (that's new, isn't it?) it appears that the only two nights that are different were Christmas ("The Naughty List: Boudoir de Mystique") and this Saturday (NYE, as described above).

One other thing about check-in: in addition to the credit card, they also asked me for my Driver's License. I don't recall being asked for this before. This is definitely new. What's the purpose? I was asked for my passport, too, but then she asked for my license, which I thought was odd.

Initially I was asked for my passport (as they usually do) and handed it over. Then, she immediately handed it back to me without even looking at it and said, "You know what would be better? If you gave me your driver's license instead". At that point, I handed over the driver's license and she made a copy of that, not both the license and the passport. I needed the passport anyway because on the form they make you fill out during check-in you have to enter your passport number. I have since learned that they are supposed to ask for either or.  So, my best guess is that she probably misspoke because she is used to asking for the passport alone and the driver's license thing is somewhat new.

Based on the weather reports I’ve been checking, this week could be a wet one. It rained slightly on my way from the airport and rained heavily late in the afternoon, stopping just in time for dinner.

Day 2 Tuesday 12/27/22

No rain today, thankfully.  A little annoyed that they didn't give me a notice about the repeaters party scheduled for tonight so I missed that. Since I checked in yesterday, they obviously knew I was here.  On a positive note, I did begin to see quite a few new arrivals tonight, including many familiar faces from New Year’s trips past.  The downside to the new incoming guests was that it was more of a challenge for me to find a seat at dinner (Asian Cuisine night, it seemed).


Day 3 Wednesday 12/28/22

After an ill-advised post-dinner latte, I'm pretty wired-up on caffeine tonight – at least it’s helping me to stay up late without feeling drowsy. 

Next, the piano bar. Monday night there was entertainment but no Eldon; Tuesday night was karaoke (ICK!) and still no Eldon. Tonight, the piano player returned and so did Eldon! Eldon told me that after his horrible accident earlier in the year he's about 80-85% right now; he wasn't able to work for four months, getting injured in June and returning in October. It never ceases to amaze me how he's able to not only recognize me but also call me by name and immediately pour my usual drink without having to be asked.

Lastly, apparently the disco is a thing again -- or at least it was for tonight, anyway. Monday, I tried to go in but the door was locked; Tuesday I didn't even bother. Tonight, when the piano bar cleared out, I left and heard music coming from the disco; when I entered I found the dancefloor packed with people stomping to Pitbull's "Fireball". The bar, however, seemed relatively empty. But at least the disco was back -- if only for one night.



Day 4 Thursday 12/29/22

Plenty of activity around the pool and in the hot tub today, but there has been a pattern of clouds mid to late afternoon which resulted in not only little sun but also no chance to view the sunset later in the day. 



Day 5 Friday 12/30/22

Around 4:30PM today was the first significant rainfall, but thankfully, it didn’t last too long; just as I was getting ready to leave, the rain stopped – as a result, I just swapped for some dry towels and stuck around for a while longer. 



Day 6 Saturday 12/31/22

Friday night as I was preparing for dinner, a note was slipped under my door stating that starting Saturday AM, the main pool deck would be unavailable all day because they were constructing the set for New Year's Eve. As of shortly before dinner at 7PM, they were still putting on the finishing touches, so they just barely completed by the time dinner was officially served.



Dinner consisted of the usual fare for New Year's Eve (i.e. the Friday Gala was moved to Saturday so we had lobster).



Mojito bar set up on the pool deck, martini bar near the courtyard (in that space where the pool/ping pong tables are located).



Went into the piano bar to get away from all the noise; no piano player that night but some folks volunteered to tickle the ivories.



Just as they've done the past few years, the countdown to midnight took place in the courtyard which had more than enough space for folks to dance.

This year and last year, it didn't seem like the place was all that full for the party -- appeared to be quite a few of the resort guests but not that many night passes. I say that because there were plenty of places set for dinner but a number of them were left unoccupied (at least that meant I had no trouble finding a place to sit down to eat dinner).





Day 7 Sunday 1/1/23

Hangover day for many folks so it was rather quiet; what added to the quiet atmosphere was that a few folks had already departed. 

Day 8 Monday 1/2/23

An even slower and quieter day today as even more people I know left; quite a depressing day.  Late day rain forced me to pack up and head back to my room a little earlier than I would have preferred.  One last night of the party before the fun of packing begins. 

Day 9 Tuesday 1/3/23

Got up a little bit earlier than usual so that I could get a head start on packing and grab a quick breakfast prior to check-out.  Pick-up for the ride to the airport was early, so I got to check-in for my JetBlue flight with plenty of time to spare.  Encountered a great deal of difficulty using the kiosk at MBJ; fortunately, there was a JetBlue employee there to assist (albeit begrudgingly).  Long wait to check my bag and an almost as long wait to retrieve my ticket to enter Club MoBay.  Once I got to the lounge, I discovered the flight had been delayed; what started out as a 2:30PM flight eventually didn’t take off until 6PM.  Fortunately, the airport pickup driver was on top of it and delayed meeting with me at the gate.  JetBlue eventually got in touch with me to apologize for the delay by giving me a credit on my next flight – but since it’s only $50, I doubt it’ll help very much (and not much in the way of compensation for all of the time lost and inconvenience suffered). 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Your Piece, Beeyotch!